Monday, April 25, 2011

I'm back!!!!

So it has been a while since I have been here and A LOT  has changed.
I went to India/Malaysia=AMAZING and started a new job. I am not longer in the health care field but now food regulation. My new position is very detail oriented which I have learned that I am not so much. Also should note the word food is subjective. If you come from an organic and sustainable point of  view it may be difficult to consider a product that most of the ingredients are preservatives, stablizers and a mish mash of letters (FD&C  #40) instead of wheat, carrots, juice, ect.  food. However if you look strictly on edibility, then yep, its food. I am learning a ton about the food regulation industry, ingredients and labeling procedures. Very interesting. However due to these new changes and events in my life I have had little time to cook at home and explore my mission of affordable local and organic living.I will share with you somethign that I have discovered despite what you are eating.
As Dietitians we always talk to people about healthy preparation, drinking lots of water, making sure to buy pure and whole ingredients. But we never tell people physically how to eat.
Sounds strange, right? You have been eating your whole life! How many times has your family (Mom specific) told you to slow down, chew your food. I myself will admitt at times when I am in a rush I take a few big bites just to get something down. I have learned recently that this is the down fall. Shoveling in food that is half chewed is causing you to eat more than you probably would have with smaller bites. If you cut a strawberry in to quarters it looks like a lot less than if you cut it in to multiple small pieces. These are not ideas to make it seem you are eating more than you really are but giving you an opportunity to enjoy and taste what you are eating. It is strangely more satiable than heaving it down your throat.
At your next meal take a minute and enjoy the flavors you have created!

No comments:

Post a Comment