Thursday, August 25, 2011

I am still here.

Hello folks. Sorry for the big time lapse between posts. It is incredible how much time a full time job takes up. ha. Not to mention an over active pup. I have tried to post pictures of her but for some reason it wont work. I will get some up soon I promise. Also because lets be honest, compared to other Dietitians blogs this one is lacking, ha. I have to be honest because my new job has me sitting down at a desk for 9 hours a day I have been focusing on exercise almost more than nutrition. I have signed up for the Hot Chocolate 15K in November as well as started a little challange with a few girl friends to keep each other motivated.
The best thing hands down about summer is fresh fruits and vegetables available from your home garden. If you don't have one I strongly suggest giving it a go. Even if you have an apartment in the city. A friend of mine does and has a box on her balcony that she grows broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes and herbs on. AWESOME! I have no balcony or anywhere to put such a garden box but I do have a mother with a yard . There we planted different kinds of tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers, zucchini, green beans, and enough herbs to start our own spice store. They are doing great too!
It is an amazing feeling to walk out in your yard and make an organic, basically free lunch! Litterally getting back to our roots here!
If your harvest proves to be too bountiful for you to consume try making soups, sauces, blanching and freezing what you can or these fruits and vegetables make excellent gifts for any reason!
Seeds cost mere cents and plants can be rather cheap at your local grocery, hardware store or farmers market! Everyone is always looking for a deal, I can't think of a better one!

No comments:

Post a Comment