Thursday, January 13, 2011

Cluck Cluck Cha Ching.....

This week has been less than perfect. But what is life with out  a little challenge. Wish I could say I was this positive all day.....thanks mom.
However in combination with a little pep-talk from my mom and going for a run (exercise is one of the best ways to get stress and negativity out) I started thinking about dinner. I have been getting increasingly picky about the meat and animal products I will consume. A kind video a friend of mine posted on facebook has gotten me a bit weary of just purchasing meat from anywhere. I have decided to only purchase meat that is certified organic, hormone free and responsibly processed. THIS GETS COSTLY. I must say as with Trader Joe's, I like Whole Foods but it is pricey, don't care what anyone says.
But I have found like our discussion with the produce that if you do the work instead of the grocery store you can save a little more than pennies, even dollars!
SOOOOO the penny pincher of the week is buy a whole chicken instead of chicken strips, breasts,thighs or legs. CRAZY I know..mine is staring at me in the freezer. But here is the breakdown
Whole Chicken (3.11lbs)=  COST-$9.57
two breasts, two legs, thighs, wings, and other meat. AS WELL as the bones and left over to throw in a pot of boiling water with some carrots, celery and onions and make stock out of it.
Package of chicken breasts (3.21lbs)= COST-$21.63   WHAT!!!!!!!!
4 chicken breasts
NOW yes it is a it more work and time but you are DEFINITELYgetting more money for your cluck (sorry had too...buck)
Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. where do you learn how to cut up the chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to cut a chicken http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Cooking-Tips--Techniques-642/cut-up-a-chicken.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip . . . can't wait til you have a post that says you have your own chicken coop:) P.s. I know call Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck" cause that is what is spent at the check-out line.

    ReplyDelete